On 11-06-27 1:09 PM, Tim Bray wrote:
I just clicked on a PESO hosted on photo.net.  It popped up an
interstitial ad that I had to view or dismiss before I could see the
picture. [...]

I'm no fan of photo.net, but I've never seen these popups and I see very few of the banner ads, so I've been a bit puzzled about all the fuss.

So while looking at Dave Brooks' latest shots I investigated to see what was happening -- of course! Years ago I configured my DSL router (pfSense) to return "host not found" replies to all domain-name lookups for doubleclick.net, which happens to cover the majority of ads at photo.net. So no popups, and empty whitespace where the banner ads usually go for all the computers in the house. DNS proxies are a wonderful thing. ;-)

-bmw