De-Lurking again regarding that well-known hot-rod, the Volkswagen flat-four engined 1.1 liter (later increased incrementally by a tenth of a liter from time to time.)

It was/is rumored the little chassis housed a power-house of an engine. A Tire-Shredder in acceleration. (PDML 2 July, 4:47 pm. "A stock'74 Ghia would do 0-60 faster than a Corvette of the same era.") Sure wasn't that way where I lived in the 1950's, and 60's and '70's. The VW Ghia or Beetle could barely pull it's shadow away from the curb. (O.K. Kerb for some.) The 'VW Werkes' published 21.30 seconds zero to 100 kmp, or 62mph for the Ghia in 74, and top speed of the Ghia, 138 km/h or about 84. Hmm. Compared to the oft cited slow-basic-stock 195 hp 1974 'Vette was around 9 or 10 seconds. With a stock-basic 350 CI engine (Or 5.7 liters.) Most people optioned up to the 250 hp in 1974. My father and I owned Three brand-spanking New Corvettes between 1963 and the early 80's. Granted the U.S.A. began to limit nasty auto emissions around 1968, but the limits affected everybody, even VW and Karmann. Every auto suffered a performance decrease. If someone owned a 7 to 8 second Stock '74 Ghia they need to call the Guinness world record people.

At the age of 17, with a Brand New Corvette Sting Ray 1963, I'm here to state with the 4.11 rear end, 11.5 to one compression ratio and advertised 365 hp, All Stock, you could see 146 indicated. And 0-60 in the sixes. And yes, the tires wore out pretty quickly when inflated to 40 psi. And yes, the high school / college girls fell all over you. Ahem.

Oh, Red. Convertible. And No. Never got beaten by a Karmann Ghia bodied Volkswagen, stock or otherwise. Remember 'There is no substitute for cubic inches' which may have been first attributed to Big Daddy Don Garlits or maybe Mickey Thompson. The 1974 Corvette, 350 CI, or 5.7 liters and up to 454; the VW started in 1938 with 1.1 and ended with 1.6 liters when production stopped.

Now, shutting up and getting ready for Choir Practice. And Re-Lurking.