Morris,
That's pretty much the way I remember it as well.
The VW's, whether dressed as a Beetle or Carmen Ghia, were very slow.
I drove home from college in one in '65, a thousand miles.
Either the gas pedal was floored or you were on the brakes.
My son has a '75 Corvette now and even the stock small V8 beats 21
seconds 0-60mph.
Regards,  Bob S.