On Jul 4, 2011, at 06:40 , Bob Sullivan wrote:

> Problem is the exhaust pipes run thru the transmission hump in the
> middle of the car.
> That is guaranteed to make you hot.
> Regards,  Bob S.

I think Bob is making a funny. If not —

Could I see an IPB that shows how they do that on either a Ghia or Beetle?  :-)

The problem was (still is) the engine oil from the head gasket or pushrod tube
seal leaks drip or drizzle down on to the heat exchangers, where it turns to an
oily vapor that the engine cooling fan dutifully pushes into the car when the
flapper valve is opened, coating you and the inside of the windshield with a
light haze of oil. Easy to remove, 'cause the windshield is so small next to my
Dodge's half acre of glass. The optional gasoline heater caused the interior to
have a kerosene odor. And it needed a costly rebuild every fall after being
idle for 4 to 6 months. It's big advantage was you could run through the snow
out to your car in your slippers, turn it on, then hurriedly get dressed before
it shut off after 15 minutes. You were welcomed to a fully heated car that
smelled like kerosene!  :-)

Ask Paul about the weight and area of the glass in modern front engined cars.
It's for streamlining to lower the drag coefficient. Saves gas. I would like to
state that my 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with a 3.3 liter V-6 got an average
of 14 MPG driving around town, rarely more than 3 or 4 miles at a time, whereas
my new used 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan eX with it's 3.8 liter V-6 just rewarded
me with 11.9 MPG.  Streamlining below 35 mph don't do squat. But I must blame
it in part on the fully optioned, with eleven electric motors for the windows,
sunroof, and side doors, eX curb weight of 4318 lbs, 4712 with the bolted on
towing package, me, the dogs, and my latte in it. Compared to the 1990 with 2
electric windows and a radio at 3453 lbs without the rear third seat, which I
sent to the dump as it was taking up too much space in the shed, or 3871 with
the same cargo in it. Highway driving the 2004 wins at 29.6 mpg vs the 1990 at
25.8 mpg. Looking up the specs and history, going from 150 hp to 215 hp could
cause some of that gas-guzzling increase.

Sorry for the ramble. Guess I just love to look up specs and type!  :-)

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

I couldn't remember most of what I know today
if it weren't for others sharing their knowledge
of my past on the Internet. Thank you…