Ok, I'll play and I'll give the derivation the at the same time.

All as in Albert or Allen, ing as the word ending.

It is a made up name, but much older that Ellis Island. I've heard two different derivations. Either a modification of the name Allen, or a shortening of the name Allingworth. The first recording of the name is in New Haven Connecticut in sometime in the 1640's. The family ledgend has it that Roger being a good Puritan didn't want to be associated with his Church of England relatives. Personally I like to think he was an escaping horse thief, it's the romantic in me.