On Aug 16, 2011, at 7:07 AM, John Francis wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 07:23:23PM +1200, David Mann wrote:
>>
>> I drafted for the first time just the other day, but I was only drafting
>> behind another couple of road cyclists.  It's amazing how much energy you
>> save ...
>
> According to the Versus Tour-de-France commentators (who have
> ridden in the tour, so presumably know something about it)
> you use something like 30% less energy when you are drafting.

I suspect it's even more than that, depending on what you're drafting.  When I
was training for the DC one day, I expected to miss my afternoon class, when
one of my classmates rode by on her moped.  I was able to draft her at
something like 25 MPH when my normal cruising speed was much closer to 15.