From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Stan
Halpin
Sent: Wednesday, 24 August 2011 9:36 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Best 80-200mm?

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:51:27PM +1000, Tanya Love wrote:
>>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I know this has probably been discussed a gazillion times over, but
>> in your opinions, what is the best Pentax mount 80-200mm/f2.8 (or
equivalent)?
>> Happy to go third party if it can be justified...
>>
>> Tan.x.
>

> On Aug 23, 2011, at 12:39 PM, John Francis wrote:
> I own both the FA* 80-200/f2.8 and the DA* 60-250/f4
>
> Both are excellent lenses (the 80-200 was my go-to motorsports lens in
> the film days, and works just as well on the DSLRs).
>
> I've only recently accquired the 60-250, but from my initial
> experiences I suspect it means the 80-200 isn't going to see much use;
> I doubt if I'm going to need full-frame coverage (especially for a
> telephoto lens), and modern sensors are so much better that the loss of
one stop is tolerable.
> There's little enough depth of field at f/4 (for subject isolation),
> so that isn't too much of a limitation either, and there's always the
> 50-135 covering the low end of the range if I absolutely must have
> f/2.8

Tan - I used to own the FA*80-200/2.8. I currently have the DA* 50-135/2.8
and the DA* 60-250. (I sold the FA* to be able to afford to buy the two
newer lenses.)

Comments:
1 - Note that the FA* 50-135/2.8 on a K-5 is equivalent in every way to the
FA* 80-200/2.8 on a Pentax 35mm film body. Except that the DA* is lighter,
easier to handle, has faster autofocus, and is cheaper in today's market. So
if you want the "classic" 80-200 FOV range and functionality, by all means
go with the 50-135 and you will love it!

2 - For what you want to do, you will probably find the DA* 60-250 to be too
heavy and too bulky; it is very like the old FA* 80-200 in that regard.

3 - So, if the kids are running around in a indoors space, go with the DA*
50-135. If they are running around on a football field, go with the DA*
60-250 for the extra length.

stan
follow the directions.