From: Larry Colen

On Aug 24, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Tanya Love wrote:
True, good point.

Which is one of the reasons, I have been questioning my loyalties
and *really* considering switching to Nikon of late...  Trying so
hard not too, but Pentax just offers nothing by way of support for
pro photographers. Still holding out for as long as I can though!

This brings up something that I've been wondering about for a while,
and that is whether staying with only one brand is nearly as relevant
as it used to be. In the film era, it made lots of sense for every
body to be the same lens mount, as you might have black & white in
one, color in another, and you never knew which film you'd want to
use with which lens.

Today, bodies are the film, and are practically consumables, in the
way that film was. It's just that you buy a lot more at one time.  It
is almost a case that bodies are accessories for the lenses, rather
than the other way around.  In that context, if I were a
professional, and Nikon made a lens that I needed for certain jobs,
I'd buy a D7000 to use with it.  Hell, if I were employed, I'd
probably pick one up to use with my drawer full of nikon glass, just
because a couple of those lenses are really sweet.  There are,
however, cases where the K-5 seems to handily outperform the D7000,
(like when I need a stabilized f/1.8 lens), so I'd definitely keep my
Pentax gear for when it is the right tool for the job.

What I'll likely end up doing is picking up an APS mirrorless, when
one with the performance I want is available at a price I can afford,
and along with it, get adapters to use with my Pentax, Nikon and
Minolta mount glass.

The key is that good quality glass is still expensive no matter what brand you're shooting. I'm sticking with Pentax because I can't afford to duplicate my existing good glass in a different mount.

I intend to be a photographer for as long as I can, and as long as I can meet my photographic needs without changing brands, I will stick with Pentax. But, I don't know what the future holds.

Maybe someone will manufacture an APS mirrorless body & an adapter for my Pentax glass. If so I'll evaluate it then to see if it offers a compelling advantage and makes good economic sense.

One thing I already know from experience is I cannot get a decent hand-held shot from any of the "hold-it-out-at-arms-length-&-use-the-TV-screen-to-compose-the-picture" cameras. They just don't work *FOR ME*.

YMMV - but I'm not ready yet to be compelled to use a tripod for every shot.