On Aug 25, 2011, at 8:10 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> On 11-08-25 2:42 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
>> On Aug 24, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Tanya Love wrote:
>>
>> What I'll likely end up doing is picking up an APS mirrorless, when one with
>> the performance I want is available at a price I can afford, and along with
>> it, get adapters to use with my Pentax, Nikon and Minolta mount glass.
>
> I expect that the practicality of this plan depends on how well heeled you
> are and whether you are more of a gadget collector than picture taker.  I
> sure as hell couldn't afford to duplicate my pro level Pentax glass in Nikon
> or Canon mount. I expect that the price for a DA* 50-135 or DA* 16-50 in
> Nikon equivalent is at least 50% more than those suckers cost.
>
> I maintain that for the average shooter with modest means, who actually makes
> art not shiny collections, staying with one brand is still *very* relevant.

That is true, in that case.  There is also no need to duplicate lens
collections.  My point was that if there is a lens that Nikon makes, say a
24-105 f/2.8, or an 80-200 f/2.8 that Pentax doesn't, and you need that lens,
then rather than giving up on Pentax, buy that lens, and a body to use it with.
 You don't need every lens for that body, you just need a body for the lenses
that you have.

Again, I was also talking more in the context of a professional photographer.