While it was a non-event for me personally, I don't want to make light of the effect it might have had on others.

The high winds, even at Cat 1, were enough to topple trees & killed at least 2 people here in NC. And beyond the property damage, the flooding endangers human lives as well.

Something else I heard on the news is the wind-speeds quoted are "surface winds". The speed increases above the surface & in NYC poses a danger to high-rise buildings from blowing out the glass, so that you have a danger inside from wind driven broken glass & a danger below from falling glass.

And I heard that the NYC subway system has been shut down for the first time ever due to the danger of storm surge driven flooding. I don't reckon it would take too many feet of surge to put some station entrances under water. I'm sure they have pumps to empty the system out, but I doubt they have the capacity to handle the mass of water that could introduce. At least not in the short term.

From: "P. J. Alling"
I'm just getting a little tired of the hype, Irene is most likely to
come ashore as a category one, maybe even as a tropical storm, dangerous
yes, but unless you actually live in a flood zone, it's probably better
to stay put rather than evacuate.  When this proves to be a meh event,
it will be much harder to get people pay attention when that category
four shows up to smash things...