On Aug 29, 2011, at 3:13 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one. I believe it was indeed much
> ado about very little.

I'm not surprised it seems this way.  From what I saw it looked like they were
expecting a lot worse than what actually happened.  With Katrina in their minds
they would not have wanted to screw this up as doing so would guarantee losing
the next election.

> The federal government declared New York a disaster area before it was a
> disaster area

I did wonder about that :)  I wonder if it's a procedural thing as making
declarations like that can free up certain sources of funding, give extra legal
powers, allow civil defence / the armed forces / national guard to be
mobilised, and all that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Dave