On 8/29/2011 04:27, David Mann wrote:
On Aug 29, 2011, at 3:13 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one. I believe it was indeed much ado
about very little.

I'm not surprised it seems this way.

From what I saw it looked like they were expecting a lot worse than what actually happened.
 With Katrina in their minds they would not have wanted to screw
 this up as doing so would guarantee losing the next election.
Except the our Mayor is in his last term... he isn't running again. Of course Chris Christy in NJ is another matter...

The federal government declared New York a disaster area before it was a
disaster area

I did wonder about that :)

 I wonder if it's a procedural thing as making declarations
like that can free up certain sources of funding,
give extra legal powers, allow civil defence /
the armed forces / national guard to be mobilised, and all that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Dave

I actually didn't know it was that technically - but yes let us do remember Katrina where the government really screwed up a lot.

OF course, I'm in NYC and having been in a situation where knowing all this stuff ahead of time really did matter one thing now occurs to me since there is a bit of grousing about the coverage...

Didn't really know (and still don't) that the whole world was getting
um saturated with TMI about it - we who live here in the path appreciated it And they did it without commercials, too.

ann