On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Joseph McAllister <pentax...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 14:31 , Charles Robinson wrote:
>
>> On Aug 30, 2011, at 16:14, John Sessoms wrote:
>>>
>>> Put the utilities underground where they belong and you don't got to worry
>>> about trees falling over on them.
<snip>

<major rant>

<snip>
> DOWN WITH THE WIRES, AMERICA!!!  (and everywhere else) (think what a bounty
> of jobs that would become available if the go'mint formed a DWW whose goal
> was to transition overheads to buried, ojne street at a time. Tell your
> representatives, local, state, and federal about this plan. Improve the
> economy with me!

Yeah, you're mostly right, but there's a down-side to putting
everything underground:  Every time there's a problem holes have to be
dug at great cost of money and time, along with all the disruptions
that causes.  Once the fix has been made and everything filled in and
patched up, the pavement is always uneven and bumpy.

Real bumpy.

Dangerously bumpy to cyclists.

And after a winter or two those patches begin to disintegrate into
huge (and even more dangerous) potholes.

And that's only repairs,  Over the past decade or so private concerns
(read:  cell phone and cable companies) have been installing fibre
optics under our streets with the expected bumpy roads left behind.

Some streets are un-ride-able to the point that I avoid them
altogether - that's if I can find a passable street nearby.

While I generally agree with you, John, there is another side to the story.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson