> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> frank theriault

> Yeah, you're mostly right, but there's a down-side to putting
> everything underground:  Every time there's a problem holes have to be
> dug at great cost of money and time, along with all the disruptions
> that causes.  Once the fix has been made and everything filled in and
> patched up, the pavement is always uneven and bumpy.
>
> Real bumpy.
>
> Dangerously bumpy to cyclists.
[...]

here in Londinium there's a project underway to turn Exhibition Road in
Kensington into a 'naked road' with the space shared by all road users. I
cycle that route when I go from work to my French cinema class and the
project has been taking a long, long time. But part of the project involves
the rather obvious idea of putting all the ducts, cabling etc. into easily
accessible trenches with covers that can be removed and replaced easily,
without having to dig everything up all the time.

The rest of London in the meantime will retain its charming 3rd-world
approach to potholes and deeply-sunk drain covers.