Sony had the "night mode" on several fixed lens video and still
cameras in the early 2000s which flipped the IR-block filter out of
the way of the sensor. Then the product liability suits rolled in when
users discovered that nylon fabrics are essentially transparent to IR
illumination and thousands of peepers at the beach had the opportunity
to photograph people in see-through bathing suits. Sony responded by
crippling the night-mode at first (it could only be used with the lens
wide open and at exposure times between 1/30-1/60 second, effectively
destroying pictures at the sunny beach) and later dropped it entirely.

I doubt any manufacturer is going to put that into a consumer camera
again as a standard function any time soon. An expensive, special
purpose astronomical camera ... sure. Astronomers rarely spend their
time peeping at nekkid girls on the beach because they're sleeping
during daylight hours ... ];-)

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com