On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:20:19PM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
>
> > Mark Roberts wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.robertstech.com/temp/kitties2.jpg
> >
> > By the way: The FA*28-70/2.8 absolutely rocks for pet photos. 70mm
> > lets you get "close" without getting close enough to spook the cats
> > and the image quality of this lens is outstanding.
>
> That's pretty close to the length range and speed I need for photographing at
> the dojo.  Do I  want to know what one of those lenses goes for?

No.  It was the companion to the 80-200/f2.8, and priced accordingly.

I never got round to purchasing one of these back in the film days
(mainly, I must admit, because the 28-105 was pretty darn good in
decent light, which is when I'd have used it most).

Nowadays you've already got the 16-50, so you'd be paying an awful
lot for that extra 20mm (plus the ability to use 'normal' focal
lengths as well as short telephoto without changing lenses).