On 9/14/2011 12:00 AM, John Francis wrote:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:20:19PM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:
On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

Mark Roberts wrote:

http://www.robertstech.com/temp/kitties2.jpg
By the way: The FA*28-70/2.8 absolutely rocks for pet photos. 70mm
lets you get "close" without getting close enough to spook the cats
and the image quality of this lens is outstanding.
That's pretty close to the length range and speed I need for photographing at
the dojo.  Do I  want to know what one of those lenses goes for?
No.  It was the companion to the 80-200/f2.8, and priced accordingly.

Yeah, I took a quick peek on ebay.  I think there's one at about $1100.

They do have a 35-90 /2.8 that looks pretty nifty, but that doesn't look like it'll work well with SR as it only autofocuses with the MEF, or something like that.

I never got round to purchasing one of these back in the film days
(mainly, I must admit, because the 28-105 was pretty darn good in
decent light, which is when I'd have used it most).

Nowadays you've already got the 16-50, so you'd be paying an awful
lot for that extra 20mm (plus the ability to use 'normal' focal
lengths as well as short telephoto without changing lenses).

Remember that extra 20mm is an extra 40% linearly, or about half the area. i.e. if I crop digitally from 50 to 70 FOV, I go from 14 to 7 Mp.

If I'm not trying to get the whole room, the ideal zoom range for photographing people during a test or a demo, at the dojo would probably be 28-105. Lately I've been using the 16-50 on one body and the 77 on another, and that's workable. With the K-5, in the evening off the incandescent bulbs, I can get acceptable shutter speed and noise at f/2.8. I suppose that in four years, for the cost of a 28-70 I'd be able to get an f/4 lens and a body that'll give me equivalent IQ at f/4 as the K-5 gives me at f/2.8. If you'll excuse my obsession with higher ISO and lower noise.

Oh well, maybe the next time I get a big chunk of cash, I'll redirect some of it towards a Tamron 18-75/2.8.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)