On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Steven Desjardins <drd1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>    I am an amateur and my photography is there to let me play artist
> and contribute to the family scrapbook.  The latter is always good
> enough with any of these cameras.  My wife uses an Optio I-10 and
> (annoyingly) seems to do as well as me.  Noise just doesn’t bother me
> very much so my high iso performance is more than adequate.  The
> biggest challenge for me is the limited dynamic range and I enjoy that
> challenge.  When I am taking pictures to please myself, I don’t mind
> the limitations of the camera.  Sure, I can delight in a new lens but
> usually it’s a prime.  My SOP is to go off with one prime and work
> around it.  I’ve recently realized that I’m a better adapter than a
> chooser.  I actually dislike having to pick from too many choices.  I
> find it much more satisfying to take a small camera and one prime and
> try to make it work.  I completely understand that a pro can’t do this
> and when I’m asked to do weddings I show up with the K7, the flash and
> the FA135, the DA 18-55, etc.  Lately however, that stuff just sits in
> the bag.  I honestly think that if I had the money I would get a Q and
> a few lenses rather than a K5.   The Q system would be inferior for
> every technical reason and it would get a lot more use.
> Sorry for the manifesto but better here than going off topic in class.  ;-)

Steve,

I've certainly enjoyed my K-x and the baubles and trinkets that go
along with it
(my DA40, the kit lenses, a smattering of taks, a couple ms, and today
a FA 50/2.8).

But to be honest, its kind of a lot of clutter.

Some people are already totally content with the quality of the smaller cameras.
For me, I think in the next several years I will find my spot of
contentment, too.
And I'm looking forward to it.  I look forward to having one compact
camera I can
pretty much bring with me everywhere and at the same time look forward to
the decluttering of all these lenses and ancillary accessories.

I keep thinking to myself:  what a period of amazing technological growth we are
living through, with really no end in sight.