Lately I've been thinking along these same lines myself. I have the money set aside for a K5 but keep hesitating because I'm not sure that the incremental improvement over the K7 will be worth it. I do a lot of travel these days and many of the images I've like in the last year were taken with my Nikon Coolpix P6000. That's a somewhat flawed camera, burdened by a lot of poorly implemented 'features', a slow lens, and really slow buffer write times - but it still manages to cough up some nice images. So part of me thinks to upgrade to a better compact. But I'm not seeing any compacts that seem to be worth upgrading to either....

MCC