On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/2011 12:05 PM, Christine Nielsen wrote:
>>
>> Our old barn got a renovation, and lucky me (!), I got a studio space
>> out of the deal.  It's only very recently been finished, and I'm just
>> starting to get a little time to play out there.  The other day, i
>> asked my daughter to sit for some portraits -- I had to capture that
>> summer tan before it faded...
>>

>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/23028562@N04/sets/72157627605002633/with/6172516761/
>>
>> Questions, comments, concerns are welcome...
>
> That's a nice set. Of photos.  I particularly like the last one, with her
> jumping. Lighting, composition, energy, expression... very nice, it even has
> a pretty girl in it.  To me, it looks like it's cocked ever so slightly
> anti-clockwise, but the bottom of the window sill looks horizontal. Maybe my
> glasses are crooked.

Thanks -- I'll take another look at that last one... though I will
mention that the barn is over 150 yrs old... so nothing is level or
straight!  :)

> One thing about them that I see on a lot of portraits is that the highlights
> on the skin seem a bit overexposed to me, so that detail is lost.  I don't
> know whether this is a style thing, that it smooths out the skin, I just
> have a different idea of proper exposure, or an artifact of flickr's
> compressing the files down.

I will admit to some hot spots on her forehead... I probably could
have controlled for the window light a little better... I tried some
fiddling with it in LR, but didn't feel like it looked natural... In
the end, decided to let it go & call it "style".  ;)

>> Now here's my question... I'm often frustrated when I see how my
>> photos are rendered online.  My monitor is calibrated, and in the
>> editing process, everything seems to go just fine.  I make sure I
>> export in srgb.  Once my photos are loaded onto different websites
>> (blogger, picasa, flickr, facebook, etc), it's another story.  I know
>> that different monitors might render images differently, but even on
>> the same, calibrated monitor that i use for editing, it seems that
>> different browsers (I have firefox, safari&  chrome, chrome being the
>> worst offender)&  different websites treat my images differently.
>> Even on flickr, just now, my images have a funky red cast in slideshow
>> format that doesn't show up in thumbnail/set views, and certainly
>> isn't the way I edited them.
>
> Does it show up when you upload, then download the full resolution version?

When I download the full-res from flickr, it looks pretty much how I
think it should... as do the thumbnails, etc on flickr... in the
slideshow is where  things get weird.
In blogger... I'm not sure if I can retrieve the full-res file that I
uploaded... When I upload, it saves the image in a set on picasa...
that file when I look at it, and download it, is wacky.  Too
pink/red...  But, when I simply upload the image directly to picasa,
it seems to do ok.  So, I think blogger is messing with me.  From my
hard drive, I can open a jpeg in firefox & safari & it looks ok... if
I open it in chrome, again, too red.

>  I suspect that most of these online photo sites compress files, and may be
> more concerned with compression efficiency than file fidelity.  They have to
> compress them for the smaller pictures anyways, so they get to choose their
> level of compression.
>
> BTW, what little I can see of the studio looks wonderful.  Any shots of the
> space rather than just using the space?
> How big is it, it looks like it'll work as a dance studio, not just a photo
> studio.

I'll have to get some pics organized to show off... it's about 40 x 20
(ish)... I do come up here pretty much every day & do a happy dance.
Does that count?  :)

Thanks!