On 11-09-22 4:02 PM, Christine Nielsen wrote:
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Larry Colen<l...@red4est.com>  wrote:

One thing about them that I see on a lot of portraits is that the highlights
on the skin seem a bit overexposed to me, so that detail is lost.  I don't
know whether this is a style thing, that it smooths out the skin, I just
have a different idea of proper exposure, or an artifact of flickr's
compressing the files down.

Flickr may do many objectionable things, but messing up JPEGs isn't one of them, as far as I'm concerned. Of all the photo sites I've tried, Flickr's image quality is near the top. In fact I quite often download my own images back from Flickr for re-uploading to other sites.

So I seriously doubt that any exposure or colour shifts have occurred as a result of Flickr's file handling.

I will admit to some hot spots on her forehead... I probably could
have controlled for the window light a little better... I tried some
fiddling with it in LR, but didn't feel like it looked natural... In
the end, decided to let it go&  call it "style".  ;)

Well you are good company, Christine. Intentional overexposure is a trendy portraiture technique right now, and people pay good money for Ps and Lightroom presets to get that effect. It's a kind of near-high-key look and is great for minimizing blemishes without resorting to a lot of PP and plugins.

I wouldn't consider the hotspots in these shots to be a problem. They aren't actually blown out and there's still detail there. But if you want to tame them, Scott Kelby explains a simple technique to remove them in a couple of his books. Basically you use the Patch tool, clone in a similar area that isn't hot (eg elsewhere in the forehead), then use the Edit->Fade Patch Selection tool to blend it in nicely. Takes a few seconds per fix.

-bmw