On 10/20/2011 8:36 PM, Walt Gilbert wrote:
Hi all,

Well, I've been in need of some form of transportation for a while now,
and money being scarce as it is, another car hasn't been forthcoming,
and depending on others for rides hither and yon has gotten pretty
tiresome. And, given the fact that I'm not in the best physical
condition of my life, I decided it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get a
bike.

Well, a friend gave me one tonight. Unfortunately, the last bicycle I
ever owned was when I was about 14 years old. Consequently I know
exactly jack shit about them these days. It seems like a pretty good
bike to me -- especially considering the price. Here's a couple of
photos of it.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/WaltGilbert/IMGP3404.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/WaltGilbert/IMGP3396.jpg

I'll resist the impulse to critique the photos.

I was actually looking for something more along the lines of a mountain
bike so I can access some of the tougher to reach places off the back
roads and such. But this seems like a pretty good road bike.
What size are the wheels?  26"? 700C? 27"?

In any event, unless you're planning on doing some serious jumping, that should do just fine off road. It has cantilever brakes, nice high handlebars, it might even have a triple crankset, though I get the impression that things aren't too awful steep in your area.

Is there any chance it would make reasonable trade-in material for
something more suitable for off-road use? If not, I may just go ahead
and buy a cheap, used off-road-type bike that's more suited for that
kind of use

You'd be better off just getting a set of on/off road tires and giving it a try first.

Thanks for any info anyone can offer.

-- Walt

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)