On 10/21/2011 1:13 AM, Subash wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:39:07 +0100
"Bob W"<p...@web-options.com>  wrote:

I'll try not to kill you.

no wonder they call you bob the-infinitely- merciful w. :)

<http://www.robertscycles.com/audax1.html>

looks nice. does it cost lots to handbuild stuff like that? i had to
wikipede what an audax was.

I wonder just how much difference a custom frame really makes, unless you're looking for the last little bit of performance, or have some very specific and unusual needs. On the other hand, once you get to a certain level of quality, where the frames are pretty much hand made anyways, it probably doesn't cost a lot to have them custom fitted.

In your part of the world, it's possible that there are some horribly underpaid craftsmen turning out beautiful handmade frames for a fraction of what they'd cost here. Though, more likely, there aren't enough people buying custom frames to support someone.

In any case, it's probably worth figuring out what you'd want in a custom frame, then shopping around to see what comes closest.

When I bought my doublecross (the one I posted links to photos of) it turns out that through a local shop I was able to get them to build up a bike, with just the parts I wanted and needed, for less than getting one off the shelf from another shop would have been. I specifically wanted a cyclocross frame because I wanted something sturdier and didn't mind a little extra weight on the bike.

By the way, I got inline brake handles on the bars and they are wonderful. In addition to having the standard braked down on the drops, I can ride the bike in an upright position and have brakes right there. Very handy for those long, neck cramping, downhills.

Now, all I need, is time, and weather, to allow me to ride it.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)