On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Sam L <samthegr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a n00b so I can't comment on the pricing question.

I'm a noob (at this) as well, that's why I'm asking the list to share
their expertise with me.

;-)

> But I do have this to ask:  why should a person choose your
> "individualized" type of service instead of the "Dave Brooks" model?
> It sounds like it would:
>      - cost more
>      - requires client to seek you out and commit to your services
>      - be riskier for the client (how do they know if they'll be satisfied?)

Well for one thing, the "Brooks" model is being done.  I'm thinking I
want to do something that no one else is doing, otherwise why choose
me over all the others out there with lots of experience?

Besides, I've seen the online galleries that these guys provide.  If
you're lucky, maybe one or two shots of your kid, and they all look
the same - some banal non-action shot of your kid skating by the
photographer with a hockey stick in his/her hands.  My way mom and dad
will choose from lots of action shots - that's my selling point.  I'll
be shooting hundreds, culling them down to maybe dozens of (what I
hope will be) very high-quality shots, giving them some real choice of
very interesting game action shots.  I am thinking that I could give
some sort of guarantee that if they're not happy with the shots, I'll
do another shoot for free, but I also don't want that to be abused, so
I'm still considering it.

> I can see someone might choose your type of service if they really
> wanted top/premium results because you are guaranteeing to focus
> solely on the 1 person.
> But I think you may have a hard time getting clients because you are
> really just starting out in this business.

I agree, so marketing will be key.

> It might be easier to start out on the Dave Brooks model and then as
> you build up clients and portfolio migrate to the, Premium Knarf
> Model.

I have found with things like this it can be hard to make that
transition.  IIRC, Dave left that gig because (among other reasons)
the market was becoming saturated with others doing the same thing as
him.  Prices were falling and he wasn't making money.  Since there are
already several (that I know of) doing this in general sports
photography, why enter that fray?

> Hopefully I sound like only the 2nd largest donkey instead of the 1st
> largest one.  :-)

;-)

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson