Larry Colen wrote:

Speaking of batteries, since I'm no longer shooting the K-x every day, I'm not charging the hybrids nearly as often, and I'm finding when I pull them out of my bag that most of them are reading dead when I put them in the K-x. This is after years of them working wonderfully, and with at least two different brands.

NiMH have a quick self-discharge. The higher their amperage, the quicker the self-discharge. So, if you use those batteries almost daily you won't notice, while a week or more of non use will drain them down.

This is why I switched to Eneloops for my *istD back then, and now just for the AF-540 FGZ flash, which I use less and less.

Dario