On 11/19/11 11:03 AM, Bob W wrote:
So.

I am going to get rid of as many books as I think I can*, to make some room
in my head. If you had to live with only one photography book from those you
now own (this means your answer cannot be "The Decisive Moment"), which
would it be, and why?

*In reality, this may mean that I keep maybe one shelf of photo books,
principally signed 1st editions by Magnum photographers and similar greats.

I've been thinking about this one, as I have a healthy number of photo books piled here and there. Most of them have come from used book stores or flea markets, and were bought because they were interesting/cheap, but I do have some with a little value, like the signed copy of Eggleston's Democratic Forest (I know: eww. Whatever) I picked up on ebay, my Steidl copy of The Americans, and a first edition of Vestal's classic The Craft of Photography. Oh, and a nice copy of Fred Herzog's Vancouver Photographs that I got before the price went crazy, and of course the Joel Meyerowitz show catalog I bought from Annsan.

There are some others that are more or less utilitarian: Bryan Peterson on exposure, Ron Engh on sales, whoever on various business practices or techniques. I couldn't swear to it, but I think I have a Shaw around here somewhere, though I think he's the leading cause of the tedium in contemporary nature photography, in which technical perfection is the only measure of success.

But I guess if I had to pare it all down to one desert island book, I'd go with Ian Jeffrey's How to Read a Photograph (sub: Lessons from Master Photographers) because it has both a wide ranging survey of photographers, with examples of their work, and smallish essays on what they did/do and how they fit in the continuum.