From: William Robb <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: Giving and taking criticism

On 25/11/2011 2:18 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> One thing I haven't seen a lot of is discussion on how to give and take
> criticism. And a related discussion
of what venues on the net, or off,  are good for that sort of discussion.

> --

That's because we don't offer criticism here. We had a regular member who
attempted it one time; he was promptly chased off the island.
It put a very real chill on the entire concept of giving an honest critique of
images that get shown here, since any honest critique will likely have some
criticism accompanying it (that being what the word critique kind of come from.)
I tried to give a critique one time and was told to accept the photograph on
it's own merits, and either accept it for what it was or STFU.
And now you know why most every photograph that is shown here, whether it be a
stunning landscape or a tedious snapshot of a child playing with a kitten gets,
more or less, the same response (great capture, stunning image, etc) or no
comment at all.

Most people don't want a critique, they want an ego massage, and no one likes
to be told that their image is an excruciatingly boring, poor rendering of a
banal and cliched subject.

--
William Robb

-- PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List