On Nov 25, 2011, at 3:08 PM, John Celio wrote:

> Those of you who travel a lot: How do you store your photos while on long
> trips?
>
> Next May I'll be spending some time in Australia with my company
> (specifically, in Melbourne for roughly a week and a half), and then I'm
> hoping to be able to take another week or two off for a bit of a vacation
> while I'm down there.
>
> My little Chromebook only has a 16gb drive, so that won't do. Nor will my old
> Alienware laptop, which is effing massive and just way too slow. I'm thinking
> I just need to get a small laptop with a big-ish hard drive (say, 250gb+), or
> get one of those portable hard drives with card slots you can dump stuff into
> (and take the Chromebook for internet), but I'm really curious what frequent
> travellers think is the best solution.
>
> Thanks,
> John

A 13" Macbook Pro w/ 500gb internal drive, about 400gb available to
download/store images. Plus two external HD's @ 500gb. I download via Lightroom
with renaming and autocopy to one external HD, and then I put that HD away and
do a disc-to-disc copy for a backup on the 2nd HD.
I used to carry one of the external HD's with its own battery and SD slot, and
I would download images to that through the day when taking a coffee or
lunchbreaks. Then: a) the newer SD cards weren't working reliably in my
system,and  b) SD cards got larger capacity and cheaper, meaning that I could
afford to have more than adequate cards to carry me thorough the day. So I save
all of my downloading/processing for the evening working with the laptop and
external drives.

stan