From: "John Celio"
Those of you who travel a lot: How do you store your photos while on long
trips?

Next May I'll be spending some time in Australia with my company
(specifically, in Melbourne for roughly a week and a half), and then I'm
hoping to be able to take another week or two off for a bit of a vacation
while I'm down there.

My little Chromebook only has a 16gb drive, so that won't do. Nor will my
old Alienware laptop, which is effing massive and just way too slow. I'm
thinking I just need to get a small laptop with a big-ish hard drive (say,
250gb+), or get one of those portable hard drives with card slots you can
dump stuff into (and take the Chromebook for internet), but I'm really
curious what frequent travellers think is the best solution.

My last major trip I took 10-4GB cards & 8-8GB cards, a thumb drive sized USB card reader and a 300GB LaCie USB hard drive. Fully stuffed, the card wallet was just about the same size as the LaCie USB hard drive.

I made prior arrangements with several of my group of traveling companions to use their Macbooks to download photos to the LaCie USB drive. I installed MacDrive8 on my own laptop so I could read & off-load the files when I got back home.

Turned out I didn't use the backup hard-drive at all. We had such a tight itinerary I didn't even manage to fill up all of my cards.

Traveling alone, I carry my regular laptop, although I have been thinking about one of those netbook computers. I think the recent situation in Thailand has driven prices up a bit. I know hard-drive prices are still double what they were.