Stop being agreeable, but then I guess you can't help it, you're Canadian.

On 11/28/2011 2:00 PM, knarftheria...@gmail.com wrote:
I agree with Ann.

Cheers,
frank

--- Original Message ---

From: Ann Sanfedele<ann...@nyc.rr.com>
Sent: November 28, 2011 11/28/11
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List"<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Giving and taking criticism

Well put, Tom..
Nice summing up of the whole bit

ann

On 11/28/2011 13:21, Tom C wrote:
Been out and about at Bryce and Zion National Parks over the weekend.
I may have one or two shots to display. :-)

Here's my thoughts on this semi-annual topic:

1. If a person posts a picture they're inviting a response. Usually
they're expecting a positive response I believe, otherwise they likely
wouldn't have posted it.
2. Having invited a response a poster must be prepared for a response
they did not expect, i.e., negative feedback or tips for improvement.
3. There's nothing wrong with posting an image and getting an "ego
massage" out of it, especially if it's a praiseworthy image. We all
like to feel good about our photography.

That being said:

4. Many images are offered for viewing that were intended more as a
show&   tell and sharing, a form of communication as opposed to an
example of photographic craft.
5. It seems kudos are often given for these images and they often
receive the same adulation as images that meet a higher standard.
That's unfortunate because it, in essence lumps great shots and
otherwise into the same bucket. It's akin to pooling tips for
waiters/waitresses. Excellent service and poor service are rewarded
equally. That can have the tendency to make some with mediocre shots
believe they have a great image and it tends to have a diluting effect
on praise given to worthy images, especially if the same person is
giving the feedback.
6. For criticism and critique to have validity one must take into
account the credentials of the one giving feedback, be it here, or any
of the numerous photo sharing sites. But credentials alone is not the
end all, because personal subjectivity always enters in. I've found on
other sites, that it appears some individuals have the tendency to
downgrade others images as a means to inflate their own egos.
Likewise, a beginner in photography can easily get excited about an
image that has little merit - or not realizing how little they know,
give negative feedback and advice.
7. A negative critique that attacks the photographer as opposed to the
photograph serves no use. It's that kind of negative attack I've seen
from time to time on the list, that I find onerous whether it occurs
to myself or someone else. It's pointless, rude, and serves no purpose
other than to elevate the one giving the critique - in their own mind.

Personally:

7. I generally give only positive feedback and feel that praising the
positive is the best way of promoting improvement and continued
excellence. The photographer can learn the basics from a book and with
practice, so I feel no need to give instruction.
8. Take a 'no comment' as either negative feedback or lack of interest
on my part. If not that, then it means I was simply too busy too look
or respond.

Tom C.

--
Don't lose heart!  They might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthily search.