> From: Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> As I recall, the photo wasn't particularly bad. But Shel's critique was aimed
> directly at the photographer, without any real discussion of the image. It
> was way out of line. There's never a need for a personal attack.
> Paul
> On Nov 29, 2011, at 6:43 PM, William Robb wrote:
>
>> On 29/11/2011 9:17 AM, Bob Sullivan wrote:
>>>

>>> I expect a different level of photos from Bill Robb or Mark C. or Frank and
>>> can offer sharper criticism.  With less experienced photographers,
>>> it isn't so much criticism as encouragement.
>>>
>> That was, I believe, Shel's reasoning behind his harsh critique. The
>> photographer had an extremely high quality body of work, and posted an image
>> that was far, far below his standard.
>> Shel certainly did saw off on him, but I didn't think it completely
>> undeserved, either.
>> At some point, an honest critique of a good photographer posting a junk
>> photo is going to delve into asking just exactly what the photographer was
>> thinking.
>>
>> William Robb

That's an idiotic thing to say Bill! How could you be so lame brained
to make such a moronic comment? I thought you were smarter than that,
but I guess not...

Shel was totally out of line and it's exactly that kind of critique
that's out of place and is flat out wrong.

First, it presumes, often incorrectly, that the critic knows better
than the photographer which is many times not the case. Second, a
photographer can take any kind of photo they want, and since
subjectivity plays such a large role, the critic's opinion is merely
that. Third, Shel of all people had no right to criticize other's work
in such a manner. As far as I was concerned his body of work he
displayed was 95% dung heap with a SOB story to go with it, and had
next to no redeeming merit. Any elementary school child handed a
camera for the first time could have produced the same without
thinking.

Tom C