On Nov 29, 2011, at 10:06 PM, steve harley wrote:

> on 2011-11-29 20:03 Larry Colen wrote
>> On my way home from what I'll euphemistically call lunch, it was lunch,
>> perhaps food is the euphemism, I noticed an old trailer parked in the back
>> of what used to be an RV lot in Scotts Valley.  It may be older than I, was
>> probably quite the item when new, but now seems even more decrepit than I.
>> In other words, a photo opportunity that I couldn't resist. There is
>> something that I find strangely compelling about photographing things that
>> have decayed from their past glory.
>>
>> Now that I've had a chance to look at the photos, I'm a bit disappointed.  I
>> got a few nice ones, but none as nice as they looked through the viewfinder.
>>  So, I'm actively soliciting feedback on what I should have done. Six
>> photos, two of the trailer, four detail shots.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157628213959037/
>
> first shot is sort of striking, looks like an IR shot, but the shadow kills it

Yeah, I converted it to B&W in lightroom then turned the sky black.  I liked
the effect.  It's parked close to a fence or another building or something,
directly south of it. This is the google aerial view
http://g.co/maps/2m9ha
It's in the south east corner of ht elot. but I don't see it or the boat.

> maybe shoot a corner from the sunny end, attempting to flatten the light? or
> try to get the unusual shape to stand out more (profile shot of the nose?)

now that you mention it, it was the unusual shape that caught my eye.
Something to think about.

> is there something you could have juxtaposed with the textures and shapes of
> the trailer to add interest? (it doesn't look that decrepit to me)

Yeah, it's one of those things that looks in pretty good shape, until you start
looking at what it would take to "make it right".

It wasn't quite a juxtaposition, but I liked the sun coming through the pyramid
sunroof on the top, but that doesn't seem to have caught anyone's eye.

Thanks for the thoughts.