Three photos I took on Monday, the day after I'd taken the rail trail photos.
We'd spent the night in Little River and took our time travelling home (it's
only about 55km).

http://www.multi.net.nz/birdlings-flat/

Birdlings Flat is a stone beach at the base of Kaitorete Spit, between Lake
Ellesmere and the Pacific Ocean.  We used to occasionally spend the day here as
kids, just running around doing kid stuff in the sun.

The surf here is very dangerous and swimming is prohibited.  I think the beach
drops off very steeply as waves seem to crash suddenly out of nowhere, and it
looked as if the currents may have been vicious.

But it's a wonderful place to just sit on the beach watching and listening to
the waves.  There's plenty of photographic opportunity available even though it
looks so desolate, but the desolation is what attracts me to the place.  Also
stone beaches are pretty unusual around here.

These are cellphone pics so please don't judge them too much on technicalities.
 The third photo suffered greatly from all that stone detail causing jpg
artifacts which made the hill and sea look plasticky.  Serves me right for not
bringing the K10D :(

Cheers,
Dave