----- Original Message -----

Subject: Shooting thru less-than-perfect glass

>    Hi All...
>    Over the last few years I've acquired/rescued a few bodies
thru
>     pawn-shops, yard sales, low-ball e-Bay auctions,etc..
Oftentimes
>     these come with lenses which I haven't used  'cause the
front
>     element has a scratch. A post here a short while ago has
been
>     haunting me.." If you were to stick a small piece of
post-it note or
>     such to your front element and look thru the viewfinder,
you can't
>     tell the difference "...My question is..Do any of you guys
shoot
>     with lenses with small defects without incident? Or do you
feel
>     using a lens thats not at 100% somehow compromises
results...
>     I'm refering to 3-4mm scratches as on a 35-105 SMC-A f
3.5, not
>     a fungus-and-haze basket case...
>     OK guys...fess-up

All of my lenses have absolutely pristine glass. I would accept
no less. Neither should you.
It is especially important to have perfect glass with the
miniscule 35mm format. Bad glass = poor enlargeability.
If you are wise enough to use a 6x7 format camera, then this
attention to perfect glass is much less critical from a
photographic viewpoint, but much more critical from an equipment
esthetics POV.

Seriously though, you can have a pretty awful looking scratch on
a lens, and not have any noticable image degradation from it.
Filling the scratch with India Ink pretty much makes it go away.

Brother William