On 2/2/12, Paul Stenquist, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Some web souces I looked at say that 25p achieves virtually the same
>"cine" look as 24p. I doubt that the difference is noticeable. But I'm
>no expert. When I was making a lot of commercials, the directors
>frequently shot film at 30 and transferred to video at 30. Don't really
>know why, but the results were always very good. What says Cotty?

24 and 25 fps is a 'progressive' frame rate. That is, there are
litterally 24 or 45 frames per second. They're indistinguishable -
unless you try and convert one to the other. Picture? No problem. Sound?
Problem! But hey. Surprisingly few things are shot 25p for UK broadcast.
It can give a very jittery look to unsmooth camerawork or rapid movement
in the frame. The standard framerate for UK broadcast (PAL) is 50i
( that is 50 frames interlaced - 25 frames per second, 2 interlaced
fields per frame) and in the US (NTSC) 60i. These rates give a much
smoother look, but also some would say a very sterile video look.
Shooting at 30 fps will smooth it out that little bit more.

The most important thing in any video acquisition format is bitrate.
Most people think they can go buy a Canon 5D and shoot a lovely doc and
try and hawk it to a network. Ain't gonna happen. All networks from the
BBC down ;-) will only accept certain bitrates set out in their
technical requirements. For most broadcasters across the globe you're
looking at 50 Mbps on acquisition. 35 for news. Top end drama and docs
100 Mbps for some. High stakes indeed.

That said, who needs old fashioned broadcasters? I'm producing 6 short
videos for the British Chiropractor's Association on best practice re
posture and the target is Youtube. Horses for courses. Got a camera? Go
shoot something, cut it together, broadcast it on the web. Your viewers
will find you! It takes some time to get the hits though. I produced
this video about a top London cakemaker 18 months ago and it's only just
reaching 45,000 hits:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOaGyXkV1k>

I fall asleep watching it but if you're into wedding cakes they tell me
it's best of the best. People ask me what the most important aspect of
video is (eg cameras, bitrates, editing etc) and I always say the same
thing: learn how to tell a story! If the viewer so much as turns to his
Mrs to ask for a cup of tea after starting to watch your video, you just
lost him.

I noted the discussion about manual vs autofocus and both camps are
right. If I'm shooting on the big (main or A ) camera I must have manual
focus - absolutely mandatory. But for other things like a small camera
on a pole for a topshot, or on the dash in a car looking back at the
driver and so on, autofocus on a locked-off B camera is fine and dandy.
One of the reasons i got my little Fuji X10 - I can shove it anywhere on
a magic arm and record video (and pretty good audio!) with the AF
keeping things sharp. Well, that's what i told the Mrs. And then I can
play HCB with it at weekends :)

I don't understand the K-01 at all, but that's just me.

.02

--

Cheers,
  Cotty