I've actually never been able to sincerely appreciate this image.
The foreground head stones give it but a minor bit of redemption.

Jack

----- Original Message -----
From: Darren Addy <pixelsmi...@gmail.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: For Ansel Adams birthday: All about Moonrisr Over Hernandez

I recently picked up a couple of used books on Ansel Adams ("The
Portfolios of Ansel Adams" and "Ansel Adams, Letters and Images
1916-1984") and I find a couple of things interesting regarding
"Moonrise" (which I'll call it for short).

1) Although the image was taken in late 1941 and clearly exhibited in
a museum in 1942, no one seems to mention what museum or exhibit it
was in (or the dates). At least that I have found.

2) Ansel makes a print of "Moonrise" and gives it as a gift to the
Newhalls at the holidays, 1948. In a letter to them in Jan. 1, 1949
Ansel says this:
"Do you like the Moonrise print? I think that for the first time I got
some feeling of tonal space. Previous prints have been too bleak and
cold."

While many people call it not only Ansel's finest, but perhaps the
finest photograph ever made, I don't think it would make the Top Ten
of those that I would choose, if I could pick one Ansel Adams print
for myself. Of course, I've never seen it Live and In Person.

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska