On 3/9/2012 14:09, steve harley wrote:

i do a huge amount of research with google, some of it is even
productive; beyond the search engine, the google services i actively use
are:

* maps (to which i contribute),
(snip list)

I like Google maps and have also contributed by way of correcting some locations :)I may have added a pic or two.

these are indeed valuable resources to me, but yikes! it does unsettle
me to have all of the information behind those activities in the hands
of a single entity, so i pay attention and actively consider how much to
put into google — not my main email, not my calendar, cloud notes,
music, photos, and especially not my friendships

Me too... I don't use gmail at all, never download music, etc..
I do find it easy to use for plain old info, even though one has to get
past the dis-info. But i'd like an option to search for _me_ in some
anonymous way to see what sties of mine or photos come up were I someone else.

One thing VERY annoying is the way images appear now when you search.. that kind of crazy quilt random look that is almost useless if you
want to see a photo of a particular person or place.  googling images
with my name brings up al lot of photos of other people at Scrabble tournaments I've been in, pictures I've taken, or apparently just places I've been same thing with googling pictures of friends, of course.

ann