From: steve harley

on 2012-09-03 9:15 John Sessoms wrote
I gave Staples my email address for some reason & they send me a "coupon"
almost every day & their sales flyer once a week. I could "unsubscribe", but
that's actually more work than just hitting the delete key. I'd do it anyway if
they hadn't once sent me a "coupon" that saved me a little money on something I
was actually going to buy anyway and I'm mildly curious to see if it will ever
happen again.

add up a year's worth of time you spend deleting an email every day, after
first reading the email to see whether there might be a coupon you can use; if
you unsubscribe *once* you can have that time back; does that one coupon make
up for it?

Doesn't really work that way for me. Unless something I value pops right out of the gestalt it gets deleted unread.

The one "coupon" I did read went more like:

"Staples ... DELETE ... wait a minute, what did that say? ... Check TRASH ... Oh yeah, I can use that"

Wastes far less of my lifespan than wading through all the untrimmed sigs in a PDML digest.