On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 5:54 AM, P. J. Alling
<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe they should invent a method of publishing where text and video can be
> seamlessly integrated into one presentation so that a good author could play
> to the strengths of both...

That's what iBook Author is all about. That said, there's a huge lot
of additional work that goes into making a combined multi-media
presentation like that when you are trying to achieve the quality
level of 'just' a video or written text. It's a big deal, as if just
writing a compelling book or producing an excellent video isn't enough
already.

I've gone through a couple of the Julianne Kost videos on LR4 now.
They're good ... she's quick and covers a lot of ground in the
introductory ones in a short space of time while letting you see what
the potentials are. They're also pretty heavily nuanced: you get more
out of them if you work through a few, do some experimentation
yourself in the environment, then go back and study the video a couple
of times more.

My experience from doing the workshops and talking to some of my
students several months after is that most of the people I worked with
found using a video series to extend their understanding much more
rapidly than buying any of the books. The books have their place too
... they become repositories of detailed reference material (and task
recipes) which is hard to articulate, find and re-locate in a video
presentation.

People learn in a lot of different ways. Adobe's chosen the video
approach as it seems the fastest bootstrap means for the majority of
their customer base with a highly interactive application like
Lightroom. And they've done a good job with it so far, from what I
see. Other means will surface too.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com