From: Bob Sullivan

John,
My Google doesn't do those things.
Maybe you need to change some global settings.
Regards,  Bob S.

The problem I have been having is I couldn't find any way to get TO those global settings since Google changed. I think something in turning off search history also turns off the ability to set preferences.

From: Tim Bray

It sounds like what you're griping about is Instant, the thing that
keeps trying to leap in front of you with a guess as to what you want.
 I find it irritating on the 10%-or-so of occasions that it's guessing
wrong.  But what's weird is that I've never seen anything that stopped
me typing in mid-query. That's baffling.

Auto-complete would decide it knew better than I did what I'm supposed to be searching for and Google Instant would immediately jump to whatever website Google ranked highest without consulting me.

I had Google Instant turned off, but somehow it turned itself back on.

Thanks to all.

I followed Mark's suggestion and installed Noscript & just have to learn how to configure it so it will do what I want.