On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I suspect that the amount that the vast majority of users
> would be willing to pay for this would be very close to zero.

It depends what “this” is.  You need to come up with a compelling list
of what they get for what they spend.  I'm with you, I’d be happy to
pay modestly just for the important intangible of *being the
customer*.  But most people would want more.

And the service might not end up looking very different. There’s an
external illusion that Google’s big decisions are based on pleasing
advertisers. But it’s more important to keep the ordinary folks happy
and give them what they want, so they’ll come back.  If you have
enough of those, the advertisers will follow.  -T