On 3/15/12 17:07, Darren Addy wrote:
Before you answer: What if it was a Leica?
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/03/15/leicas-upcoming-m-series-camera-may-have-a-bw-sensor/
Since everyone seems to say "no", I'll try "yes". I might not want this as my only or "regular" camera, but I still think the idea is interesting. Yes, a colour sensor is probably more flexible in many ways even if you want to produce B&W, but there are still some limitations to the options you have. You can't really select to have no filtering at all, or avoid having some of the pixel data filtered by the "wrong" filter... As long as you have a "pattern" sensor, I mean - the situation would be quite different if someone made a *really good* camera that would capture full colour at all sites...

And of course, everyone knows that shooting colour with a Leica is plain heresy. If they don't release a B&W sensor, they should at least have a software limit, so that only different kinds of B&W conversions would be allowed for the output data ;-)

- Toralf