On Mar 17, 2012, at 9:18 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

> If the Leica rumor turns out to be real, perhaps they are implementing
> the B&W-only limitation in software but using the kind of sensor Kodak
> announced a few years ago with a non-Bayer pattern that sacrifices
> some color sensitivity for greater luminance sensitivity . Here's the
> DP Review article about it:
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2007/6/14/kodakhighsens

Mark, that article says:
Kodak’s new sensor technology provides a significant increase in sensitivity to
light when compared to current sensor designs.  With this new technology, users
will realize a 2x to 4x increase in sensitivity (from one to two photographic
stops), which will improve performance when taking pictures under low light and
reduce motion blur when imaging moving subjects.

Which is exactly what I was postulating, though the pattern presented did
something clever by only using half of the green pixels as panchromatic.  That
way they lose a little resolution in green, but get a lot more dynamic range,
because if it clips in the clear sensor, then the data can be regained with the
other three.

Unfortunately, Godfrey just told us that it doesn't work, so it must not work.

BTW, didn't Nikon used to have a B&W version of a sensor?  How did that compare
in performance to the color version.