I think that should work (and does indeed sound like a simpler way to
go about it), but I'd still want to use a flat surface for the target.
 There's no guarantee that the AF sensor is locking on exactly the
same part of the scene as the live view AF, so a wine bottle (with a
curved surface) might not be the best choice.