OK, I found my answer, and some animated examples here.
<http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs178/applets/autofocusPD.html>

The short story is that phase-detection measures the error and tells
the lens which direction and how far to move to get into the correct
position.  It's faster, but depends on everything being calibrated.
Sort of like saying "go three feet to the east and you'll be there."
If you both have accurate rulers and compasses it will work fine.

The contrast detection method used with live view is iterative and
keeps sending correction messages until the image is focused.  Slower,
but more accurate.

So it boils down to the fact that lens and body manufacturing
tolerances are wide enough that, for phase-detect focus to be spot-on,
each lens-body pair needs to be micro-calibrated.

If you can live with the slower contrast-detection focusing of live
view, it will probably be more accurate.

Anyway, that sheds light on the old "my copy of this lens isn't
focusing" statement.  It's more like "this copy of the lens on this
copy of the body aren't a good match."

Bottom line,  now I think I understand why the simple calibration
method can work.

gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com