On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Mark Roberts
<postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> My take on the issue: You should bring your camera. Be discreet and
> base your amount of "discreet" on how many other people (if any) are
> taking photos. If it's just you and the hired photographer then you
> can really go for it; if there are a dozen people with cameras
> snapping away (especially of they're using loud cameras or - gag -
> flash) you should cool it. I expect the matter of "scaling" is the
> main reason guests are discouraged from taking photos - if one guest
> does it there's no problem but if a dozen do it could be awful.

I do think "discretion" is the key... For me, I'm not comfortable
being in the pews with a big rig (dslr + flash)... and I think it's
borderline ridiculous to be trying to get "over the crowd" shots of
the altar with an iPhone from the back rows... in both cases, too much
photography is a distraction & disrespectful, imho.

But, there's a place for guests' cameras at (most) weddings... there
has to be.   Especially during the reception, I think everyone likes
to get those happy snaps of friends & family.  In which case, like
Frank said, wouldn't it be nice to have a smaller, high-quality camera
for the occasion? :)  Although, I have to say I was impressed with
even some of the cameraphone results I saw on facebook...

I guess that's part of the equation, too -- what is the final
destination of those pics?  If it's fb, then the dslr is probably
overkill.  But, if you would like to create some memorable images for
the family album, then the iphone probably won't cut it.  I will
admit, the notion that you could potentially save the day, if properly
equipped,  when the pro turns out to be a moron, or has an unfortunate
accident... that's appealing.  :)

Thanks to all who responded to my informal survey!

-c