> You don't say if you are using the F, FA, DA or DA WR version.  My
> FA100 will sometimes refuse to get a focus lock and sit at infinity.
> I press in the mount lock button to release the AF drive and manually
> focus to approximate focus and it then seems to work ok till the next
> time it decides it can't focus on what I'm asking it to look at and I
> do the same thing.  It's done it on all the digital cameras I've owned
> *istD, K10, K7 and K5.  I can't remember it doing it on the MZ-S, but
> that doesn't mean it didn't.
>
> I don't know if this helps you or not.  I don't use it much now days
> and usually only on manual focus as I have the DA WR version for field
> work (smaller and weather resistant is good when knee deep in sea
> water).
>
> Leon

Yeah that was stupid of me. It's the tank-artillery-shell-bodied
FA/100 2.8 Macro.

It seems to be related to the aperture lever/control on the lens. It
appears through the viewfinder that it's totally stopped down in 'A'
mode, even when the camera body says f/2.8, f/4, etc. Setting the lens
manually to a big aperture allows it to AF (viewfinder brightens),
then resetting it to 'A' mode, viewfinder continues to appear bright
and AF continues to work. Take the lens off the body, put it back on,
same issue repeats.

Thanks Leon, et al.