> Yep, when you mount the lens and the viewfinder is dark,
> then your aperture lever isn't aligning with the body...probably bent.
> Regards,  Bob S.
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 04:34:57PM -0600, Tom C wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah that was stupid of me. It's the tank-artillery-shell-bodied
>>> FA/100 2.8 Macro.
>>>
>>> It seems to be related to the aperture lever/control on the lens. It
>>> appears through the viewfinder that it's totally stopped down in 'A'
>>> mode, even when the camera body says f/2.8, f/4, etc.
>>
>> That's a problem right there.
>>
>> The lens should only be stopped down during exposure (or when the
>> DOF preview is in effect). ?If the viewfinder is dark at other times
>> something (almost certainly the lens) is misbehaving.
>>
>> Check to make sure the mechanical coupling in the lens moves freely,
>> springs back quickly, and isn't bent so that it would come into contact
>> with anything on the body except for the aperture stopdown linkage.
>>
>> Check that the linkage on the body isn't bent, either - it's possible
>> that it might be getting caught up on some part of the lens.

Belated thanks John and Bob. The aperture lever does seem to be
slightly bent, inward towards the center of the image circle. I can
pull it down, let go, and it springs back. However, if I slowly pull
it down firmly and take my finger off, it sometimes sticks in place.

This is no doubt the issue.

Is this an easy fix? Inexpensive fix?

Thanks.

Tom