Nice, the results seem to be consistent with those from my considerably more beat up Vivitar TX mount 400mm f5.6. Since the cosmetics are identical, except for the addition of a TX mount ring, I expect that they are identical optical formulas late 70's early 80's Tokina products.

The results are much better, maybe better isn't the best word, lets say, sharper and with higher contrast, (though the contrast may be the result of atmospheric effects), on closer subjects, as if it were optimized for focus distances of about 100-200 yards as opposed to infinity.

I read your description and thought I'd mention that there doesn't seem to have been a dedicated tripod mount for this particular lens. I don't know if was because it was thought to be small and light enough to be used primarily hand held or if for the same reason it was thought that photographers could simply hang it off the end of a camera mounted on a tripod. When I got mine it came with a third party, (third, third party? fourth party? whatever), tripod ring that didn't really fit the lens, the previous owner had built up the lens barrel between the focus ring and aperture ring with some kind of shiny metal tape. It interfered with the aperture ring, I removed it a while ago and haven't missed it. the lens doesn't weight any more than a Pentax A* 300 f4.0 and I just use the camera tripod socket with either on my crappy travel tripod, (I've got to find a word that begins with t that has the same relative meaning as "crappy" to complete the alliteration).

“vintage-telephoto grainy dreaminess”: http://goo.gl/2wQbp

--
Don't lose heart!  They might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthily search.