On May 14, 2012, at 6:07 AM, Kenton Brede wrote:

> I'm just getting started with film. One of the things I've read is,
> unlike digital, it's better to expose for shadow detail. I've read
> that a lot of detail can be pulled back from the overexposed areas on
> film.
>
> My question is, can that detail be pulled back from a digital scan of
> a negative, or can that only be done via wet print process in a
> darkroom?  Another way to state this, should film be exposed in
> different ways depending on how it will be post processed, digitally
> or analog?

While it doesn't work so much for action shots, if a shot is that important,
I'll bracket, even in film.

I suspect that it might also be possible to apply HDR techniques (for bringing
out detail, not the crazy tone mapping) to scans of film, whether you scan one
negative at multiple exposures, or you bracket in film and scan three frames.